- You will need MATIC on the Polygon network the very first time you buy or sell on Hawku to set up the appropriate authorizations. It is usually around 0.03 MATIC but we recommend 0.05 just to be safe.
- First - make sure you have Polygon WETH. If you are buying on Hawku (or any Polygon marketplace) you will likely be buying with Polygon WETH. You can bridge Mainnet ETH to Polygon WETH fairly easily by using a Mainnet to Polygon bridge . NOTE: You cannot use Mainnet WETH on Hawku (or any Polygon application).
- Recommended: Once you have Polygon ETH, go to Polygon's Gas Swap. It is easy to swap and buy 1-10 MATIC with no gas fees. It currently costs between $0.50 and $1.00 USD and will be needed if you want to do other actions on the Polygon network. If you do not have Polygon ETH, bridge some.
- NFT Sellers only without Polygon WETH: If you have no Polygon WETH and own an NFT that can be listed on Hawku, contact email@example.com or DM us on Twitter at @hawku_com with your public ETH address and we will set you up with a tiny amount. We keep track of the NFT used and can only do this once per individual NFT.
- IMPORTANT: Do not buy MATIC on MetaMask or on Polygon Mainnet. That MATIC will be on Mainnet and cannot be used on the Polygon network.
About MATIC and Hawku
The very first time you sell or buy using the Hawku Marketplace you will need to grant the marketplace contract that Hawku uses (0x) authorization to do your buying and selling transactions. This is a transaction on the blockchain and requires a tiny bit of the MATIC coin which is used as gas (or a way to pay the transaction) on the Polygon network.
Unlike the ETH Mainnet where ETH is used as gas, in the polygon network people use ETH to pay for things and MATIC for the gas.
While most sites - including Hawku architect their software so you do not normally need MATIC for transactions, on occasional instances you will need it (mostly for one-time authorizations and approvals).
How to get MATIC
If you do not have MATIC, we recommend two ways to get MATIC into your account.
IMPORTANT: The MATIC you need is on the Polygon Network and NOT ETH MAINNET. DO NOT BUY MATIC ON ETH MAINNET (OR USE METAMASK TO BUY MATIC) FOR HAWKU.
1) if you already have WETH on Polygon, we strongly recommend you go to the Polygon's Gas Swap run by Polygon. You can easily and cheaply purchase 1-10 MATIC which will cover you not only for Hawku but also help when you need to make other transactions on the Polygon network. This is by far the best long term solution.
2) If you have an existing NFT token that is sellable on hawku and not have any WETH on polygon, email firstname.lastname@example.org or DM @hawku_com on Twitter with your ETH address. We will then add a tiny amount of MATIC (~0.04 MATIC) to your account to get you through the approvals. Note Hawku keeps track of the NFT token ID and can only do this once per token id.
As always, if you have any other issues, please contact email@example.com or dm @hawku_com on Twitter.